Wednesday, April 20, 2005

The Futurama Story

THE FUTURAMA STORY:
1. Went to Futurama Home Furniture on May 8th, 2004 to purchae a Natuzzi couch.
2. I dealt with a salesperson named Calista showed us the merchandise.
3. I wanted better pricing so she went to get a manager named Gene who told us that they were having a one time special that weekend where they would drop the price of the couch by the value of the tax ($238.26) and that we would not have to pay anything on the couch for one year except the delivery charge ($99.00) and sales tax ($223.96). This was writen up on the contract as "No Payment / No Interest For 1 Year."
4. The only amount I had to pay that day was $322.96 for an initial deposit.
5. They provided an approximate delivery date of 9/11/04 but said that should be the worst case scenario.
6. On May 17th, I am contacted by a store manager that they need 50% of the couch cost as they had made a mistake. They had told me that they received an email from the corporate office saying that the fabric is considered a "custom order." If they have you pick out colors from swatches, EVERY couch unless it is made already is a "custom order."
7. I flipped out because one of the selling points from Gene was that I didn't have to pay another dime for a year. I guess they use that line to close the deal.
8. After fighting with the store, I caved in and had them charge 50% as I did not want to have a delay in delivery. This came out to $1677.04 in additional charges.
9. I was still not satisfied as they didn't help me on the price further as this was all their staff's mistake.
10. At that time, I tracked down the address of Futurama's corporate office and wrote a letter outlining my complaint.
11. I received a "Letter of Credit" on 5/26/04 fro $150.00 saying "please accept this letter as credit with apology." It was signed by a Josepine.
12. We were moving from NYC to NJ at the end of August so we had timed the couch delivery to be there near our move in date so hopefully things were still moving along. I had called a month earlier to check status and the store advised that everything was on time.
13. Once we moved in, we had layed out a blanket and beach chairs on the floor as that was our viewing area to watch television until the couch arrived. It was extremely uncomfortable.
14. Right before Labor Day, I called the store to check on the delivery status of the couch. This is when things started getting worse.
15. I had called the store to get an updated delivery status. They tell me it is End November. They didn't give me reasons but that there was a delay. I'm getting nowhere with this person so I hang up.
16. I call the corporate office and start speaking to their customer service and I am told that nothing can be done. At that time, I asked for this person's boss's number who is this man named Scott who is a Vice President.
17. I started to find out that Scott NEVER answers his phone. I left him numerous messages about my situation to call me back.
18. Since the phone route was not working, we head to the store as I needed to speak to someone in person.
19. When I arrived, I asked for THE MANAGER. I get this guy named Carlos who is trying to help me. He claims that he needs a day to investigate this matter and that he would call me at 11:00 am the next day.
20. The next day arrived and I received no call from Carlos. I call back at 11:01 and he says he needs until 5:00. So, at 5:01 I called back again because when they say they will call back, they don't. I had the person page Carlos on their intercom as I was not going to leave a message for him to call back. I literally waited on the phone for 20 minutes.
21. When he picks up, he says that we are looking at a "couple of weeks." I say, "I'll have the couch in 2 weeks?" He says, "No…we are looking at End November." I said, "Carlos…that is NOT a couple of weeks. There are problems with customs in Italy." This is when I started to yell at the guy.
22. "Carlos…this is NOT acceptable anymore. I'm done with these games. First, I'm on the floor in a new place and have company coming over for the holidays so I want a loner couch. Second, I'm NOT paying full price for this couch for all these delays."
23. He says, "I'll need to get the manager for that request." Huh? I though I was speaking to THE MANAGER. He told me he was the Manager so that's another lie. Someone else picks up the phone and says they will be looking into my situation. My blood is boiling to the point of explosion.
24. Finally, right after the Labor Day weekend, this VP Scott calls me back and I give him an earful about his staff and the poor customer service I've received. I tell him I want a loner couch and a discount. He tells me I could cancel the couch for a complete refund. I said that wasn't acceptable either as I didn't want to wait another 18 weeks from someone else to get this couch. He agreed to the 10% discount and the loner couch.
25. The next day, I call the store (I think it was 9/10) and get this supervisor named Donna who Scott had work on my issue and arranged for delivery of a loner couch.
26. That Saturday, they delivery the loner couch and the delivery people say they do a lot of loner couches with this company. So, that is not a good sign.
27. On September 13th, I posted a complaint on Complaints.com. There are now 4 other complaints with similar issues with Futurama.
28. I received a credit card bill on 9/27. I noticed that there was a charge from Futurama for $136.69. I have NO clue what that was.
29. I called the store on 9/28 and spoke to Donna. She said it was a charge for the delivery of the loner couch. I said, "Nope…NOT paying that." It was their mistake so my card should not be charged. I also told them that they would have bigger issues if they again charged my card without authorization. She agreed to put that money back on my card.
30. On Sunday, October 24th, I get an email from a Jim Nyman. He writes, "I was a Manager at that locatin and had to resign do to all the stress they placed upon me by their lies to customer's and Manager's. You can get your money back. I am now on disability from the mental torture they placed on me. I wish you good luck and hope you will contact NJ consumer Affairs about your situation. I had to reach out to you because they have done this to hundreds of people." So, this put a bit of a scare in me when a former manager contacts me.
31. On Monday, October 25th, I contact Futurama to check on the status of my delivery. The person who picked up said that it is scheduled for End November / December. I said I want to speak to a manager.
32. I now get this new guy named Ron. He tells me he needs until 4:00 to look into the matter. I said fine. I knew I was not going to get a call back so at 4:01, I called again. "Ron…I didn't get a call back from you." He starts saying that "he's embarrassed, yadda, yadda, yadda…" I really don't care Ron…I just want my couch.
33. He now says that they DID NOT even put the couch into production. I really start giving it to him now. "What the HELL has your company been doing since May? Do you just take my money and pray that I forget about my couch?" He claims he will work to get some answers on what happened because he is "embarrassed." Getting no where, he says he is out on Tuesday, and to call him Wednesday (today) and that he hopefully has some answers for me. So, he is on tap to be called later this afternoon.
34. I get my mail later that day. My next credit card statement showed up and I did NOT receive the credit of $136.69 for the deliver of the loner couch. I immediately called the store and asked for Donna. She was not in so I left a message.
35. Tuesday, October 26th, I call the store at opening and ask for Donna. She doesn't get in the store on that day until 1:00. So, I left another message. 2:00 rolls around and I receive no call back. So, I call the store again and ask for Donna. I get transferred to her. "Donna speaking…who is this please." I say "it's Kevin Harrison." The second I finished my name, she bounced me back to the person that originally transferred me. That was the MOST unprofessional thing I've ever encountered from a supervisor. She will go down when all is said and done.
36. Meanwhile, this girl I'm speaking to…Maria…claims that the charge for the loner couch will be credited. We shall see when my next statement comes.
37. Contacted Channel 9 News on 10/26. They came to our house to interview us on 10/28 at 6:30 PM with Ed Lopez as the producer to tell our story.
38. Finally spoke to Ron again. He was telling me BEST case scenario of Christmas and could not give me the worst case scenario. He said he needed to look into things further but has not yet gotten back to me.
39. 11/1/01 I received another email from Jim Nyman. He wrote: "I am happy that you took this action and contacted Channel 9. Futurama couldn't fulfill orders in a timely manner because they kept on getting cut off from their furniture vendors for nonpayment of the credit limit they had. They would take your money and promise an approximate date of delivery knowing very well companies would not ship orders to them. My last day of working for them I. E-mailed the NJ Attorney Generals Office and Consumer affairs about "theft By Deception" and asked them to investigate that and other matters concerning Futurama. That date was 7/22/04 and I have saved all e-mails and responses from the state. They have broken all the rules and they will suffer for it. I will keep in touch with you and you do have my permission to forward this e-mail to Channel 9 News. I wouldn't lie for Futurama and was subject to unbelievable stress from the threats, crying and customer's holding me personally responsible for not receiving their orders. I helped many customers, but felt helpless with other customers because of the lies and broken promises Futurama gave me."
40. 11/1/01 I called the corporate offices looking for Scott. They had said he was at the Fairfield location this week for a tent sale. SO, I called the store and asked for Scott and they advised that he was not there. Another LIE from Futurama.
41. 11/5/04 Ed calls and tells about his conversations with Alexander Mehran that it got ugly.
42. 11/8/04 We deciced with Ed to go the route of getting our money back…balance of $2,136.69 (which include the $136 delivery charge of the loner). Ed was to relay this information to Barbara Nevins Taylor. Jim Nyman also said that the quickest way to get a refund is a credit card swipe in the store.
43. 11/8/04 Ed provies me with the number of a Natuzzi Rep…Gary Greenbaum and he would be happen to direct me to other outlets where Natuzzi is offered. Ed also advises that they were yelled at and had the cops called on them in the showroom and that Alexander agreed to a full refund or the couch by mid-December. Ed has contacted Natuzzi's PR firm in Pennsylvania, an American Office in North Carolina, and their Headquarters in Italy.
44. 11/9/04 Ed informs that Mehran spoke to the reporter and wants me to contact "Ram" to come to the store for a full refund but would also want to discuss the pick up of the loner couch. I had wrote back to Ed that this was unacceptable as we were not going back to sitting on the floor.
45. 11/9/04 Ilisa gets a call from Josephine who works for Alex. Two new names to the equation. She wanted to assure me that the couch was in transit and on a boat and that they gave us a date of 12/15 to have the couch and that they would lower the balance of the couch to $1000. She claimed we had a $1500 balance even though I had a $1700 balance so not sure what happened to the original $400 that was supposed to have been taken off. This still doesn't address the $136.69 which is still not a dead issue. She also said that we would be able to keep the loner couch until we had a couch. That this point, I informed Ed of the new news.
46. 11/9/04 I called josephine who gave me her fax number to look into the $136.69. I sent the fax at 4:55 PM.
47. Called every day since…have not received a call back.
48. 11/16/04 Filmed additional footage at Channel 9 Studios.
49. 11/16/04 Put a dispute in to Chase about the delivery charge.
50. 11/22/04 Story on the above aired on UPN Channel 9, Secaucus, NJ
51. 12/16/04 The couch arrived at 2:00 PM !!!
52. April 2005 Find Out That Futurama Furniture in Fairfield Closes Down. SAD.

1 Comments:

Blogger KHBirdman said...

I think they are still around but I defintely shut down the store that messed with me !

December 19, 2005 at 12:38:00 PM PST  

Post a Comment

<< Home